Tuesday 27 November 2012

Breakfast Briefing: Windows Phone's missing upgrade, adding 4G to the Nexus 4 ... - PC Pro

WP7.5 Volume

Unless any WP7.5 update fixes the bonkers situation of having just one global volume setting, then I'm not interested.

I bought a Lumia 710 for a family member, but either I have to suffer screaming games sounds, or else risk the phone not being answered when I phone up.

Seriously, if the phone isn't going to be answered when someone calls it, it is half way to being useless, it is just a pocket games console with outgoing calls facility.

By martindaler on 26 Nov 2012

How well Microsoft stores in U.S. Are doing?

From Wikipedia: "In 2009, Microsoft built a "Retail Experience Center" in their Redmond, WA headquarters[8] and announced plans to build its own retail stores.[9] On October 22, 2009, the same day as the Windows 7 launch, Microsoft opened a retail store in Scottsdale, Arizona. A week later, another opened in Mission Viejo, California. Five additional stores were opened in 2010."

Andvthey

By BrownieBoy6 on 26 Nov 2012

How well Microsoft stores in U.S. Are doing?

From Wikipedia: "In 2009, Microsoft built a "Retail Experience Center" in their Redmond, WA headquarters[8] and announced plans to build its own retail stores.[9] On October 22, 2009, the same day as the Windows 7 launch, Microsoft opened a retail store in Scottsdale, Arizona. A week later, another opened in Mission Viejo, California. Five additional stores were opened in 2010."

Andvthey

By BrownieBoy6 on 26 Nov 2012

Remainder!

...and they still don't know how well they're doing?

By BrownieBoy6 on 26 Nov 2012

@martindaler

Understand what you're saying about the global volume control but it is quite misleading to suggest you can't receive calls while playing games. As with all phones, you really can't miss a call coming in while using the phone - the game stops and the callers picture and name appear over the entire screen along with an intense vibration (assuming you're on silent). You are presented with options about how to handle the call. You really cannot miss it.

The global volume actually works for me. Further, there is no need to turn the volume down to zero to silence the ringer. Just turn to vibrate only. This does not affect music/game/video/app alerts volume.

However, I think you are looking for an update where the volume is muted for everything other than calls. A situation I've never felt I needed on account the phone doesn't make a noise if I'm not using it (i.e. playing games) and as such the problem cannot occur.

If, and I hope you do, get your desired change I hope it is not at the cost of the global volume we currently have. I would not like to control many different volume settings for a single device. So, with any luck the user can choose to enable global volume or manage them separately.

By onegin101 on 26 Nov 2012

On Windows Phone 7.8...

To be fair to Microsoft they did say it would be released 'some time after Windows Phone 8'. I appreciate that is vague but nowhere has there been any suggestion (that has any kind of reliable source) that WP7.8 was to be released this soon after WP8.

I had always assumed it would be Q1 2013 which would allow resource at MS to be monitoring the launch and uptake of WP8.

By onegin101 on 26 Nov 2012

Apple R&D

And there I was blindly taking SwissMac's word for it that Apple spends millions more than anyone else on R&D (and seemingly with very little to show for it)!

He must have meant aRt&Design.

By TheHonestTruth on 26 Nov 2012

WP 7.8

According to WMPowerUser the rumour is that WP 7.8 is being released on Wed 28th Nov.

By jgwilliams on 26 Nov 2012

@onegin101

'...Understand what you're saying about the global volume control...

I think you may have actually misunderstood what martindaler is saying about the global volume.

I took it to mean that if his family member (I'm assuming a child here) has the volume turned low while playing games, so as to not annoy parents, then goes out leaving the volume low they won't hear it ring should the parent call.

By synaptic_fire on 26 Nov 2012

@synaptic_fire

Yep, I think you're right.

I still think that having many volume settings would not be right for me. So, wile I hope that users who aren't happy with global volume get an update to make WP better for them I do hope it's in addition to the current situation.

By onegin101 on 26 Nov 2012

@martindaler

I don't know what games you're (or your son is) playing on WP7x but every game I have, has the option to turn game sounds off or adjust volume, totally independently of the phone's global volume.
Maybe a bit of research before shouting?

By nickallison on 26 Nov 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment